PLEASE NOTE THIS IMPORTANT UPDATE RE CHANGE OF VENUES FOR LUNCH AND FINISH
UPDATE: re Let's Draw Canary Wharf 16 January 2016
Our events are always FREE to anybody who would like to turn up and have a go at urban sketching.
- the details of venues and times for start/lunch/finish
- more information about what's on offer to sketch.
Note that sketching the Lumiere 'objects d'art' will be best after 4pm so I'm assuming those that want to sketch them at their best will want to stay later.
I'm assuming some people may not have been to Canary Wharf before so am providing a bit more information than usual. I'd make very sure you have access to a printout of a good map - or one on your phone - as it can be confusing at times - although well signposted.
|Canary Wharf Station|
TIMES & PLACES
- START venue/time: Canary Wharf Station @ 11:00 UPDATE: next to the clock on the ticket concourse between the up escalators to the platforms
- LUNCH: 1:00pm -
Crossrail Sky Garden - in the North Dock (semi-circular seating area - see photo) You will see signposts to the Sky Garden.UPDATE: in the below ground eating area of the Jubilee Shopping Mall - entrance in Jubilee Place
- FINISH: 3:30pm -
Canary Wharf StationUPDATE: Next to the West Entrance to Canary Wharf Underground Station - between Jubilee Place and Middle Dock
- AFTERWARDS: 4:00pm
I'm going to try and locate a place to have a drink where we can see the LumiereCrussh in Jubilee Place Shopping Mall
[Please note: the Sketchcrawls Page is now called "Let's draw London in 2016"]
|Crossrail Sky Garden amphitheatre semi-circular seating|
- good for sitting eat sandwiches and a photo at lunchtime!
- Let's Draw Canary Wharf (on Google Maps) Please print this out or make sure you have saved it on your phone
- Do have a look at where the public art is on the estate - some of it is stunning
- Winter Lights Map (for those staying after 4pm)
|Click this map to see a larger version of where the Winter Lights are at Canary Wharf|
More information - a summary
- Canary Wharf
- Winter Lights at Canary Wharf
- Ice Rink
- Canary Wharf - installations of public art on the estate
- Marks and Spencer (Jubilee Place Shopping Mall)
- Waitrose (Canada Place Shopping Mall)
- meals can be had at various other places of refreshment
- Cabot Place, Mall Level -1, behind Citibank
- Canada Place, Mall Level -1, at the end of the corridor opposite Robert Dyas
- Churchill Place, Mall Level -1, behind James Shoe Care
- Jubilee Place, Mall Level -1, adjacent to Gourmet Burger Kitchen
- Canary Wharf - getting here
- Docklands Light Railway - The DLR network runs from Bank and Tower Gateway to Stratford, Beckton and Lewisham. For some of the trains the Canary Wharf station is the point where you change - so it's BIG!
- Tube: Jubilee Line - link lists journey times
- Bus:135, 277, D3, D7, D8
- Transport for London's Plan a Journey
- Parking: park your car at the weekend in the car parks. You can get three hours free at the weekend if you spend more than £10 in any of the shops/cafes and get your ticket validated.
More Information - specific places / installations
Canary Wharf DLR StationThis is a large station for the Docklands Light Railway in the centre of Canary Wharf with some amazing architecture.
Note this is NOT the Canary Wharf Jubilee Line station.
Crossrail Sky Garden
The Crossrail Sky Garden was opened this summer.
|View of the Sky Garden. It contains two of the light installations in January|
The Big Dig - South DockThere's a big going on at present in the South Dock - presumably to provide foundations for another skyscraper. Great for those who like construction and machinery to sketch!
See the map for the location where this photo was taken from in November. The three cranes on the right are iconic and preserved from the days of the docks. On the left you can see part of the O2 Arena.
|The Big Dig in South Dock - from the edge of Montgomery Square|
Skaters are good fun to sketch as although they keep moving they also keep making the same repeated movements and after a while you find you are sketching a bit of people and then waiting for them to come round again so you can finish them off!
(I'm checking whether or not we need a ticket to watch and sketch the skaters. You don't need a ticket at other ice rinks - but worth checking!)
- FREE/Daily (Best viewed 4-9pm), Throughout Canary Wharf
- This is the Winter Lights Map
- This is a preview of the Winter Lights at Canary Wharf in the Evening Standard
If you have any queries please send them to the contact email address in the side column or on the sketchcrawls page.