Thursday 11 November 2021

London's Day of Action for Climate Justice - by Sarah Minty


By Sarah Minty

At the end of the first week of the UN Climate Change Conference UK 2021 (aka COP26), the 6th November marked the Global Day of Action for Climate Justice which saw protests take place in cities all around the world.


In London, hundreds of people walked from Threadneedle Street by the Bank of England to Trafalgar Square, and it was the perfect opportunity to try my hand at some reportage illustration and attempt to capture the positive and hopeful atmosphere. It was also a new challenge for my ‘100 days of drawing’ project which I’ve been working on since the Summer (although please don’t do the maths, as I’ve had to skip a few days here and there!).



It turns out marching and sketching isn’t that easy though … So it wasn’t until the rally in Trafalgar Square, perched on the steps leading up to the National Gallery, could I attempt to try and sketch some of the protesters as they watched the inspiring speakers, and scribble down the chants and slogans that had been surrounding us all day.




I only had a few pens and coloured pencils with me, and next time I’ll take more things. Because there will be a next time - it feels like everyone is starting to wake up to the fact that we need to fight for our future and I would like to be there to document it. 



Sarah Minty is on Instagram @sarahminty16



Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. What a very interesting account. The sketches really bring it to life: you have definitely captured the moment.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated and consequently may take a little time to appear. Spam and anonymous comments are not published.