Thursday 19 July 2018

Old and New in the City of London - Part 2




The City churches
(Olga Mackness)

Today I am posting three of the City of London Churches - done in different times.
Drawing in the City of London and finding beauty in the contrast between old and new architecture - this is what I call a true happiness.
I have visited some of the City of London churches and  aim to visit as many as possible, sketching, making notes, learning something fascinating every time.

They all on my list and on the map provided by the Friends of the City Churches.
I have met those lovely people during my sketch crawl around the City, near St Paul and surrounding streets. There are volunteers  in almost every church, who mind the building to allow public visiting.
I dedicate this post to them – and hope to join their team one day.
St Mary Somerset built in the twelfth century and re-built by Sir Christopher Wren- now converted into private family home! By the way - so is the Tower of the Christchurch Greyfriars Church (the tower and the garden next to Merryl Lynch office, EC1, King Edward Street). I am yet to draw it, but I have had a chance to visit the flat inside of the tower.

All Hallows-on-the-Wall. It is a guild Church associated with the Worshipful Company of Carpenters. 

I shall be continuing on this topic, with more of the City Churches and to include Sir Nicholas Hawksmoore churches, famous for their mystic symbols, secrets and architectural mysteries.


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated and consequently may take a little time to appear. Spam and anonymous comments are not published.