They even closed The Mall to cars so we could sit in the middle of the road and sketch!
|At one point there were about a dozen urban sketchers perched on stools|
ON THE MALL road surface - sketching impressive architecture - with perspective!
|People would keep crossing the road and getting in the way of the view!|
|Watercolour sketch of Admiralty Arch by Lis Watkins|
- who was a little nearer to the Arch.
|VJ Day 70th anniversary service|
on the Parade Ground at Horse Guards the previous day.
The War Memorial is at the back- next to the trees.
I'd had this in mind for morning sketches but since the structures from the VJ Day Drumhead Service were being removed from the Parade Ground I suggested people came back to this spot in the afternoon - which a number of us did.
Hence the large number of sketches of Horse Guards Parade with the London Eye in the background.
However in the morning the major recommendation was to make the most of the fact that The Mall was 'coned off' and pedestrianised - and to to sketch things from a perspective that normally would not be possible.
In general people wended their way from Horse Guards to the Mall and then via Admiralty Arch to Trafalgar Square. There's masses to sketch and that's good because we are back in Trafalgar square in December for the huge Christmas Tree!
|Sketches from the morning session - some very impressive sketches of the Mall and Admiralty Arch|
|The London Eye gets everywhere!|
|Some impressive panoramic sketches and nice watercolours|
|Apparently you can get the accordion panoramic sketchbook from Cass Art.|
|Urban sketchers taking a look at the sketches from the morning|
|Looking at sketches at the end of the sketchcrawl|
Then some of us retired for tea and scones in the National Dining Rooms! (Any sketchcrawl I organise always involves a cup of tea at the end - and is generally scheduled to finish near to somewhere nice to sit down!)
You can see more photos that I took:
- in the London Urban Sketchers - August 2015 (Mall) album on our Flickr account and also
- see sketches that have been posted to Flickr in the Urban Sketchers London - Group Pool.
- Click the photos above to go straight to larger versions on Flickr.
September 2015 SketchcrawlNathan is organising the Sketchcrawl for September.
The next Sketchcrawl is on Saturday 5th September when we will be visiting Blackheath, Blackheath Village and Greenwich Park. Subscribe to the blog to get notification of the details automatically delivered to your inbox. Otherwise watch out for more details in:
- the note at the top of the right hand column of this blog
- or the USK London Sketchcrawls Page (see top menu)
- the Urban Sketchers London Facebook Group - Details and dates of forthcoming events can also be found at https://www.facebook.com/notes/urban-sketchers-london/how-to-find-out-about-urban-sketchcrawls-in-london/399571500240608.