|Houses of Parliament, Nelson's Column, Lions and London Buses - plus water features!|
|View down the Mall|
It's FREE and there's no need to book a place - just turn up on the day!
Details of where to go are listed beneath the images and sketches below.
You are spoilt for choice in terms of places to sketch and there's something for everyone.
- spend your time on the view down The Mall with Buckingham Palace at one end and Admiralty Arch at the other and lots of perspective challenges
- sketch the trees, pelicans and people in St James Park - one of the Royal Parks - running alongside the Mall
|St James Park Lake and fountain from Horse Guards Parade end|
|Pelicans in St James Park|
- draw the fantastic architecture of Horse Guards (a large grade I listed building in the Palladian style between Whitehall and Horse Guards Parade in London) and Admiralty Arch (another Grade 1 listed building).
- Or just spend all day capturing the views around Trafalgar Square and the very many people using the Square - including the great view of the National Gallery, Nelson's Column, Landseer's four bronze lions around the base, Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament in the distance
|Trafalgar Square earlier this year|
|Map of the area with Key Locations|
Where to go and what you need to know
WHERE: Trafalgar Square, The Mall & St James Park
WHEN: Saturday 15th August 2015
START: 11:00am at the Guards Memorial on Horse Guards Parade - on the Park side opposite the Parade Ground (Wet Weather: Inn the Park - the cafe restaurant next to the Lake in St James Park if wet)
LUNCH: 1:00 the terrace between the Mall and Spring Gardens (up the steps from the Mall - next to British Council HQ and between Mall Galleries and Admiralty Arch). (Wet Weather: Next to the Gates under Admiralty Arch). We'll share out sketches and probably do the lunchtime photo on the steps. There's also a couple of sandwich shops just round the corner.
END: 3:30pm - in the walkway between the Sainsbury Wing and main building of the National Gallery (Wet Weather: in the lobby of the Sainsbury Wing) - share our sketches + another group photo to add to the collection! We'll probably try for one with Trafalgar Square or the National Gallery in the background.
YOU WILL NEED: sketching materials of your choice and a stool to sit on (unless you like standing or squatting)
WET WEATHER OPTION: There are quite a few places where you can sketch and remain dry. These include:
- sketch St James Park from the Inn the Park
- sketch Trafalgar Square from Pret a Manger or Cafe Nero - on south west side of Trafalgar Square
- sketch the Mall from under Admiralty Arch
- sketch people and paintings inside the National Gallery
- District / Circle Lines: Embankment or Westminster Stations
- Bakerloo Line: Charing Cross
- Northern Line: Embankment Station
- Rail: Charing Cross
- Buses: lots of buses run through Trafalgar Square (pdf file)
Map: Check out the map of:
- Start / Lunch / Finish Locations
- Key Buildings
- Great Views
- Transport - stations
Organiser: Katherine Tyrrell (do please leave any queries as comments on this post - or post them on the Facebook Event Page and I'll do my best to answer them)
Tweet your sketches using the hashtag #USKLondon and/or #sketching.
Follow live tweets from the sketchcrawl on https://twitter.com/UrbSketchLondon